VLC Media Player for Mac (initially VideoLAN Client), is a highly portable multimedia player that supports all popular audio and video formats without the need for additional codecs, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC Media Player for Mac
VLC Media Player for Mac OS X
supports various audio and video formats, including DivX, VCD, DVD, MPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVI, FLV, MP3, WAV, WMV, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
Sometimes viewing multiple video formats can be quite a challenge. Luckily, VLC Media Player offers a one-software-fits-all solution for the file-format problem.
It can play various file formats such as MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4, including the MPEG4 subsets such as MPG, AVI (including DivX, XviD), ASF, WMV, MP4, … and audio file formats such as MP3, OGG, WAV, M4U, …
It can also function as a streaming media server. VLC Media Player is based on an open-source foundation, therefore, Updates, fixes, and addons are released frequently.
The interface is very simple and does not have a lot of distracting features that make some media players difficult to use.
VLC media player
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
It doesn't need any external codec or program to work.
VLC Media Player Version 1.0.3 Features:
• Free, Open Source and cross-platform
• Independent of systems codecs to support most video types
• Live recording
• Instant pausing and Frame-by-Frame support
• Finer speed controls
• New HD codecs (AES3, Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, Blu-Ray, PCM ...)
• New formats (Raw Dirac, M2TS, ...)
• Major improvements in many formats...
• New Dirac encoder and MP3 fixed-point encoder
• Video scaling in fullscreen
• RTSP Trickplay support
• Zipped file playback
• Customizable toolbars
• Easier encoding GUI in Qt interface
• Better integration in Gtk environments
• MTP devices on linux
• AirTunes streaming
• New skin for the skins2 interface
VLC Media Player Latest Improvements::
Mac OS X Interface:
• Enhanced Apple Remote support on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard functionality
• Improved Video Output compatibility for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
• Fixed a crash when updating VLC
• Fixed a crash related to QTKit when opening video files (10.6 only)
• Added the ability to play 2nd media in sync to the primary item (input-slave)
• Added the "Quit after Playback" feature
• Added options to disable support for Apple Remote and Media Keys
• Fixed options for Volume, Last.fm password and Subtitle Encoding
• Fixed redraw issues when autosizing the video window
• Preferences panel now includes help through tool-tips
• More reliable Information and Messages panels
• Fix various crashes
• Controllable by the Media Keys on modern Apple keyboards
• Reveal-in-Finder functionality for locally stored items
• Easy addition of subtitles through the Video menu
• Additional usability improvements
Mac OS X Port:
• Full 64bit runtime compatibility on both Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6
• Speed improvements by using llvm-gcc
• New document icons by Dominic Spitaler
• Support for latest iSight models
VLC Media Player for Mac
Windows Media Player for Mac
Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X
RealPlayer for Mac
Download Now & Get Advanced Media Player, CD & DVD Burning.
Quicktime for Mac
Ultra Fast Download. Quick Time 7.4 Latest Version - 100% Guaranteed!
Download VLC Media Player for Mac
Universal Binary (29.7MB)
VLC Media Player for Mac is a must-have application for its ability to open just about any type of video file you throw at it.
VLC Browser Plugins
VLC Web Browser plugin for Intel-based Macs (11.5MB).
VLC Web Browser plugin for PowerPC-based Macs (11.7MB).
VLC for Mac OS X is distributed as a disk image. Download the .dmg file, open it, and copy VLC to your hard drive (for instance the /Applications folder). Open VLC by double-clicking on it.